Here are a few ways I would recommend to watch the Tree Lighting in Rockefeller Center:
- Perform in the ceremony on NBC (one of these days…)
- Camp out from 8:00 am.
- Somehow get yourself invited to a VIP party on the ice rink so you can mingle with Real Housewives, Yankees Players, and actors from”30 Rock” (I am currently jealous of a particular friend of mine who sent me the following picture of his front-row view).
I would not recommend taking the following steps:
- Leave work at 6:15.
- Get to 53rd and Fifth Ave at 6:45.
- Get trapped in crowds of people shuffling to the tree for a good half hour.
- Pretend you work in 30 Rock and need to get to the building to finish working (not my idea).
- Try to use your Rockefeller card that gets you 10% off at J.Crew as an ID to prove that you work in 30 Rock.
- Get questioned what streets the entrance is on that you need to get into.
- Answer “oh um Rock center” (again…this was not me).
- Get laughed at.
- Have the same conversation with twenty different security guards and members of NYPD.
- Realize you are not going to get close to the tree at all.
- Decide to go to TGIFridays for Potato Skins and large drinks.
- Notice the Potato Skins have 2070 calories and that they are trying to sell cheeseburgers for $18.29.
- Walk out the service stairs and almost enter the dishroom.
- Walk back up and down the correct stairs.
- Walk around in circles/crowds for another hour since half the streets are closed and you aren’t allowed to cross anywhere.
- Walk to 54th and 9th Ave.
I *would* recommend the following steps:
- Go to El Centro.
- Order the Tropical Margarita and two entrees because you can’t decide which to get.
- Fill up on chips and salsa.
- Eat a few bites of each entree.
- Take the rest home for lunch tomorrow (okay and for the next day).
- Walk home.
- Watch Glee.
I still had a good time and can really visit the tree whenever I want until they take it down. I don’t think I really *need* to see them flip the lights on for me to enjoy it.
[…] Visit the Rockefeller Christmas tree! The lighting (which I attempted to go to last year) has obviously already happened, but this puppy will be up until January 7th. The tree is also now on Twitter by the way @30RockTree and tweeted “hey baby” at me a few moments ago. (WHADDUP you sexy tree???) […]
[…] a little nervous about tomorrow’s plans which involve watching the Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting. Thousands of people (and some rain) are expected. But if I can’t get close enough to catch […]
[…] Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony – Nicole and I are going to try to go this on Tuesday, November 30th. It’s going to be really crowded, but maybe we will be able to watch it from one of our friend’s offices…hint hint you know who you are. […]
[…] Rockefellerin’ around the Christmas Tree – in which Mendy and I attempt to sneak in to see the Rockefeller Christmas Tree Lighting. […]