New York City and I had an amazing 2013.
I finished up my big “28 Things to do Before I Turn 28” project right before my birthday. I trapezed on the roof of Chelsea Piers. I walked the entire length of Broadway in one day. I went to speakeasies and four-star restaurants and on a bird-watching tour. I ate from food trucks for an entire weekend.
I became close enough with the guy at the local diner to get free mozzarella sticks each time I go in, provided I give him a hug first. I ate a ridiculous number of bagels, mostly cinnamon raisin with jalapeño cream cheese (the Aubrey special). I sang Lisa Loeb’s “Stay” way too many times at karaoke. I talked to Andy Samberg, Rashida Jones, and the guy who makes the Cronuts.
I got private tours of NYC on the back of a Vespa with a handsome gentleman even after I got sick on our third date. I swung on swings. I learned I’m not terrible at darts or ping pong or mini golf. I carved pumpkins for the first time. I started to cook more. I rode bikes again.
I celebrated birthdays, job changes, engagements, and a wedding. I said goodbye to a bar where I’d been a regular and became a regular at a few new places. I hung out with my family a ton but still not as much as I wanted to. I wrote for something that wasn’t my own blog. I acquired a banjo.
Here are some of my favorite New York City posts from this year:
- Take Your Dad to the City Day – Taking my dad around for a marathon 24 hours in the city
- With the Greatest of Ease – Trapeze lessons
- Walking Broadway – Walking the entire 13-mile trek of Broadway in one day
- Shake Ya Tailfeather – The final item on my 28 Things List, bird-watching in Central Park
- I Don’t Know About You, But I’m Feeling 28 – A reflection of the 28 Things List
- I Like Pig Butts and I Cannot Lie – An awesome day at Big Apple BBQ
- A Love Letter to a Bar – Closing a chapter of my life as the doors of a bar close
- Good Ale, Raw Onions, and No Ladies – My first time to McSorley’s, where I’m now a regular
- A Nightmare in the West Village – A terrifying ghost tour in the West Village
- 5 Pointz: One of LIC’s Coolest Jointz – Seeing the graffiti mecca right before it was whitewashed